Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I upped my bid, now UP YOURS!


As a member of the Knights of Columbus, my husband has been involved in some tireless fundraising over the last four or five years. Anyone who has ever had to organize a dinner, dance and silent auction, secure volunteers and donors, and then try to sell tickets to the event will understand how exhausting and humbling such an undertaking really is -- which is why we've spent many a sleepless night worrying about how to pull it off.

I'm pleased to report that this past weekend's fundraiser appears to have been a success. (I say "appears", simply because I'm not yet sure of our profit margin, but here's hoping we at least made back a little more than what we spent. Fingers crossed!!)
 



 

As for the silent auction portion of the night, we took home some terrific items: 

* memory cards for our many cameras, video recorder, and digital frame

* some sweet dress shirts that my husband can use for work
 
* a couple of gift certificates for a salon not far from where we live (so that I can finally get my hair cut without feeling guilty for having spent some money)

* not one, not two, but THREE family passes to the Royal Alberta Museum

* a beautifully framed original painting of some chickadees and a bird box (you know, because I'm a bird nerd and just had to have it)

Plus, we also came close to winning the 50/50 draw and some door prizes. (Okay, no we didn't, but at least we tried. Because, after all, you can't win if you don't enter... and at least we can take solace in knowing our money all went to charity.)

So there you have it. We've invested a lot of our own time and money into these events, not to mention those sleepless nights we talked about, so hopefully this will all pay off and help make a difference for those who benefit from our fundraising.

Now, to get a headstart on next year's event...... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment